Thursday, January 21, 2010

John Edwards admits paternity


Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Updated 7:21 a.m.
Posted By : Garance Franke-Ruta

Former senator John Edwards on Thursday admitted paternity of a daughter with former mistress Rielle Hunter, despite his previous denials, in a statement given to the "Today" show.

Harrison Hickman, a trusted Edwards adviser, went on the show to discuss the statement from the former presidential candidate, who also served as the vice presidential nominee for the Democratic Party in 2004.

"I am Quinn's father," Edwards said in the statement. "I will do everything in my power to provide her with the love and support she deserves.... It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter."

He also apologized to his daughter, now nearly two, saying he hoped she could forgive him one day, and to the public. "To all those I have have disappointed and hurt, these words will never be enough. But I am truly sorry," he said.

"I know it's not possible," Edwards previously said over the question of whether Frances Quinn Hunter was his child.

Hickman said that Elizabeth Edwards, who is battling cancer, and John have separated and that she is supportive of him coming forward about the child. "Elizabeth thinks he should acknowledge this," Hickman said.

"Today" reported that Edwards did not come on the show himself because of the ongoing federal investigation into whether he used campaign money to cover up the affair.

His statement comes less than two weeks in advance of the publication of a tell-all book by former aide Andrew Young, who previously claimed to be the father of Rielle Hunter's child. Young reportedly was set to recant that story and say Edwards is the father in "The Politician: An Insider's Account of John Edwards's Pursuit of the Presidency and the Scandal That Brought Him Down," scheduled for publication Feb. 2.

John Edwards's full statement follows:

I am Quinn's father. I will do everything in my power to provide her with the love and support she deserves. I have been able to spend time with her during the past year and trust that future efforts to show her the love and affection she deserves can be done privately and in peace.

It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me. I have been providing financial support for Quinn and have reached an agreement with her mother to continue providing support in the future.

To all those I have disappointed and hurt, these words will never be enough, but I am truly sorry.

Original Post : http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/01/john-edwards-admits-paternity.html

No comments:

Post a Comment